The floorboard oil, and rainwater!

Last weekend, the efforts began to oil up the floor boards in the house – they were sanded, and ready to oil with a 50/50 mix of Orange Terpene and Tung Oil.Movie Get Out (2017)Movie Underworld: Blood Wars (2016)

The mix worked well, the house stinks of orange, and the oil is on the floor. The problem I have at the moment is that the oil is no longer soaking into the boards (after 5 litres). So, we have pooling on the boards that needs to be rubbed away, and dried.

It won’t dry if the weather is raining. We are off to Bunnings today to get some rags to rub the oil in, and hopefully we’ll see some dry weather soon.Roblox HackBigo Live Beans HackYUGIOH DUEL LINKS HACKPokemon Duel HackRoblox HackPixel Gun 3d HackGrowtopia HackClash Royale Hackmy cafe recipes stories hackMobile Legends HackMobile Strike Hack

The rain isn’t all bad news though, our solar generation is going to be poor, the floorboards won’t dry, but the garden beds are getting a good drink of the nitrogen rich rain, and since I managed to get one of the 1000L collapsible rain water tanks setup, it’s filling up with the clear gold from the granny flat’s roof! I checked earlier and the tank seems to have a good amount of water in it – apparently for every 10mm of rain fall, up to 250L can be collected.

I reckon we’d get more too if I glue shut the weep hole in the bottom that allows water to get away – the issue is, the rainwater diverters are designed to be used for garden beds – they collect some water and send it to a garden bed. I’m using them to collect to the tanks.

The shed has round downpipes so needed adapters to be glued onto the rainwater diverters, and I didn’t get the second one of those glued together in time. Today, I glued the weephole shut and the round adapters to the other diverter – when it’s dry I’ll cut the downpipes, paint them with rust preventing paint and fit the diverter.

The rain causes the plants to take off (due to being nitrogen rich from my research), and so will be more beneficial for the ├é┬áplants – nothing else needs to be considered with the rain either, as that’s what falls on the plants when it rains anyway.

The collapsible tanks collapse too easily – they will hold and build out with water in them – but when empty, they fall over. I wanted them to stay ’round and upright’ all year round.

I can think of a few ways to do it – one of which is find a way to exert force at the top of the tank, to push it out, the other is to remove some of the standard feet, and get some stakes, place them in the ground and that keep them shaped out.

Our garden has another issue too – we are out of space in the sense that the planting needs to occur monthly for some crops, but harvest is some 3 months – there’s a good 8 weeks before the first seedlings will fruit and the next seedlings will be ready to plant (and likely suffering due to the pots they will be in).

Perhaps expansion will be necessary – I’m not yet clear on the full yield of our efforts – and whether this will be too much, need expansion or be ‘just right’.

If I used our Zucchini plants as a guide, we have 20 or so of buds on those that will grow into Zucchini, properly cared for – after which the plant would continue to fruit, hopefully for a second crop before the plant will expire and need replacing.

Companion planting still hasn’t happened either – we need to do it but seedlings have not began / just beginning, so we’ll have to progress more in that area.

Unfortunately, rain means we aren’t capable of doing much in the garden!

So, I’ll have to find time to fix up the hot water system sensors, and get the solar data pages live – soon. The hot water has worked really well lately, I’ve seen it top out at 70oC regularly lately, a sign of our impending summer.

This entry was posted in House, Random, Sustainable Future. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *