A new approach

Each time a problem comes up, we find in some cases, a fix can be implemented, and others, drag on due to external factors preventing resolution.

One such issue for example, is our back tree. I saw yesterday, that our garden beds were shaded to 11am, and then 1pm we were drenched in rain.

I know that 4pm, the sun over the neighbours fence and tree causes shading as well. To be productive, it needs a good 6 hours of sunlight a day – something it is just barely getting, and so needs to be improved upon.

The easy solution is to lose the tree, and therefore the shading, if it weren’t for the council legislation that requires approval for removal and extensive pruning, and the criteria aren’t easily satisfied, and then the issue of pricing it’s removal / heavy pruning.

The same sort of logic came up in work lately as well – I’ve had a severe dislike of my current task for a little while now. But then it’s work from home, so it’s not all bad – it’s just not very creative, it’s boring. An issue was stemmed within my tasks, and difficult to find a path through.

The ‘difficulty’ though was indeed in my approach to it – I let frustration get the better of me, that impacted my attitude, and so the approach was way off the mark.

A fair bit of thinking later, and I concluded a new approach was necessary, the solution? Don’t let frustration get the better of me – and so, the attitude issue self corrected, the method to address the issue couldn’t have been more perfect, and the issue seems to be addressed now.

Of course, when it comes to addressing problems, there are many solutions often, and so the solution could be to ‘fix the problem’, ‘remove the problem’ or ‘move the problem’. The problem wasn’t fixed or removed, but that’s not for me to concern myself with! The problem is moved – out of my sight (out of mind).

This hasn’t ‘dissolved’ the issue, but moved it, in a sustainable sense, the issue isn’t addressed – ┬ábut in the frustration, the band-aid solution works well!

Now, if some sort of thinking would apply for the tree issue. I could take out the shed, and plant out the yard space that provides, which will solve a lot of our shading issues, but then the storage it provides.

Moving the shed down the drive way further, is a solution, but a costly one – building a new shed will require council approval, so cost a lot (the actual expenses of constructing a standalone shed are pretty reasonable – treated timber, dynabolts, roof sheeting, 2 roller doors – fixed!

The tree is far easier to attack, take out the large branches, take out the tree, and then plant a few smaller ones in its place.

We’ll need to see what removal quotes come in at – and still seek out other solutions (if there are any).

This entry was posted in House, Random, Sustainable Future. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *